Tuesday 8 November 2011

Mixing Business with Pleasure

Wow it's been a while!  Here is why...

This is my first Christmas selling my products, in fact I have only been selling now for a few months.  Everyone warned me that starting a new business was hard, but they weren't telling the whole truth -it is near impossible!
The effort that goes into experimenting, testing, creating, packaging, promoting, actually making the product, and PLANNING (sigh), is hard work.  The average person doesn't realise that soap takes 4-6 weeks to cure, so can you imagine how difficult it is to predict how each market will go, and how much soap you will have left over to add to the newly made soap, for the following market - 6 weeks in advance.

So I have been running myself ragged making every soap I can afford to make.  My curing rack is stocked to the brim, I have spend weeks packaging, and I am ready - I think!?  I am broke, and with every penny I have invested in my brand new business, I am hoping for fine weather, and happy customers with bulging wallets over the next few weeks :)

So when all this happens, and the blood, sweat and tears (lots of tears) start to become a little overwhelming,  I decided to take a day off (for the first time in as long as I can remember).  And guess what I did with my day off - I made soap! lol
Not customer driven soap, not 'pretty soap' that will hopefully sell, but experimental, all for me and no-one else soap - and I loved every minute of it!  I was reminded of why I love this addiction so much, and what I had begun to loose sight of.

So here it is:

A delicious Cucumber soap (my first ever), with Parsley for colour and scented with EO of Eucalyptus, Peppermint, and Tea Tree.  It is miles away from every other soap I sell, and for the first time in a long time, I can't wait to cut it.  I am going to call it 'Down Under'








3 comments:

  1. I totally know what you mean! I think I started making chrissie soap in September and am soon to make some for valentine's day.

    I hope your sales are outstanding and I'm sure they will be as the finish of your soap is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish you great christmas sales and am glad to hear you found your passion again!! xo Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you guys. I have my fingers crossed :)

    Good Luck to you too karan, your soaps are beautiful too.

    Arrrgghh Valentines day!? . I am so bad at planning in advance, I never even thought of that, o.k better get my thinking cap on

    ReplyDelete